Nama : Melati Puji Lestari
Verb As Complement
A verb complement is the arrangement of one verb the object of another verb. This happens three ways in English.
1. Verb followed by infinitive à Infinitives are the "to" form of the verb. The infinitive form of "learn" is "to learn”
· I asked her to leave.
· I wanted to leave.
· I stopped for the child to cross the street.
2. Verb followed by gerund à A gerund is a noun made from a verb by adding "-ing." The gerund form of the verb "read" is "reading”
· I considered leaving the job.
· I regretted his leaving the job.
· They decided on leaving.
3. Verb and preposition followed by gerund
· They laughed about having to do such silly things
· He appologized for not introducing his self sooner
· The students complained about being made to wear a uniform to school.
4. Adjective adn preposition followed by gerund
· Afraid of : He is afraid of speaking in public.
· Addicted to : He is addicted to watching movie.
· Tired of : She is tired from working all day.